Having the right iTunes podcast cover art is an important element of podcast marketing, especially when trying to attract new listeners. Think of podcast cover art as your book cover. If your cover is incorrectly made, doesn’t reflect the subject matter of your show, or stand out amongst the crowd, it can cause your show to have slower growth.
iTunes Podcast Cover Art Specs
There are certain design specs you should adhere by when designing a podcast cover. Below are the core specs.
- Size should be 1,400 × 1,400 pixels
- Use RGB color spectrum
- Save in the JPG file format
There are also content rules for your cover art. Avoid rejection of your podcast cover art by avoiding the following:
- Explicit or self-censored explicit language in podcast titles, subtitles, or descriptions
- References to illegal drugs, profanity, or violence in the title, description, or cover art
- Images or language that could be construed as racist, misogynist, or homophobic
- Images depicting sex, violence, gore, illegal drugs, or hate themes
- Third-party trademarks without authorization or usage rights
- The words “iTunes Store,” “iTunes,” or “Apple Inc.”
- iTunes Store logo, Apple logo, or the term “Exclusive” without prior authorization from Apple
Elements of Good iTunes Podcast Cover Art
Choose A Dark Background
If you wanted to stand out in the desert, you wouldn’t wear brown. Apple’s podcast section in iTunes is a light grey, so podcast cover art with a main similar background color can get lost in the sea of covers. Instead, choose a darker base to stand out.
Use Large, Legible Text
Remember that people will be seeing your cover art at all kinds of sizes and resolutions. From as small as a cell phone screen to as as large as a desktop, you want to make sure that the title is legible.
Don’t Use Too Much Text
The only text that should be on your cover art is the show title and in some cases also the hosts name. Leave any further text to your show description.
Choose A Relevant Photo of Logo
One of the most important elements of podcast cover art is the imagery. If you’re building yourself as a brand use a studio-style photo that was shot with a high quality camera. If you don’t want to use your photo, choose an icon or art that represents your show’s subject matter.
A Side Note on Episode Cover Art
In some podcast hosts you could be prompted to upload cover art for the episode you just uploaded. Don’t do it! There is no reason to upload cover art for each episode. You should stay consistent and just use your main cover art for each episode.
If all this seems like a little much and your not that great of a designer, I highly recommend 99 Designs for podcast cover art design. You can get a great design for as little as $5. Just make sure to send them over these specs.
Get A Professional Podcast Cover Design: Podcast Art at 99Designs